I learned a long time ago that it’s impossible to enjoy life at the highest level without being fully aware of the present moment. Life can only be lived in the present. Often our minds are preoccupied with multiple things, none of which is occurring right now.
Our minds are very active and constantly attempting to break free of the present with thoughts of the past, the future, and pure fantasy. While it’s good to prepare for the future and learn from the past, focusing primarily on the present has many benefits including reducing stress.
Here are a few tips on how you can live in the moment and be present to live your best life:
1. Reduce worry. Worrying can only happen when you look to the future. Keep your thoughts on your environment and your current activity. You can’t possibly be in a state of worry if you leave the future alone. What will be will be when you make educated choices in the present.
2. Eliminate regret. Regret arrives while thinking about the past. The past is over and no longer exists. You bring your past mistakes to life by thinking about them. Let them go. Having trouble letting things go, no problem I actually teach this in one of the modules of The Massive Mindset Shift® 12-Week personal coaching program.
3. Turn off electronic devices. Cell phones, computers, iPods, and gaming systems distract from the present moment. Find your enjoyment in your life rather than in an imaginary world or in frivolous communication. Get outside and just enjoy breathing.
4. Avoid multitasking. Try doing one task at a time. Current research is overwhelmingly in favor of single-tasking. You’ll find you perform the task faster and at a higher level. Let multitasking be a thing of the past. Single-tasking is much more conducive to living in the present.
5. Eliminate unnecessary items. Having too many possessions is more of a burden than an advantage. Owning too many things results in disorder that clutters both your physical environment and your mind. If you don’t need it, consider giving it away or selling it.
6. Forgive. When you hold a grudge, the only one suffering is you! Anger is distracting and keeps you from enjoying the current moment. Being angry means you’re dwelling on something or someone in the past. Again, let it go. You’ll feel so much better. Another thing I teach in The Massive Mindset Shift® is healing relationships from within.
7. Go slowly and deliberately. Rushing creates a unique type of anxiety. Give yourself the time you need to enjoy the current activity. Address one task at a time and give it your full attention.
8. Listen. If someone is speaking to you, give them your full attention and participate in the conversation to the best of your ability. By practicing active listening, you are practicing living in the moment. Don’t think about your response until after the other person has finished speaking. This is one of the hardest things for many people and even I have to remind myself of this many times.
9. Spend 5 minutes of each hour describing your environment. Take 5 minutes and describe to yourself everything you see, hear, smell, and feel. It’s an easy way to bring your mind back to the present moment and keep it there. There’s no way to compete the exercise without being mindful.
10. Eat slowly and enjoy your food. By eating slower, you’ll have the chance to enjoy your food more. You’ll also eat less because you feel fuller when you eat slow, which is a good thing for many of us. Try eating an entire orange one piece at a time. Go slowly and focus on the flavor of each section.
11. Under schedule. Too many obligations results in a crowded schedule and time concerns. It’s not easy to stay focused on the current task if you’re worried about being on time for the next one. Leave space between your obligations. Do less and experience more.
Avoid missing out on your life and losing so much time to the past and the future. Living in the moment is a habit and a skill. Indulging in worry and regret are also habits. While it’s not possible to live entirely in the present moment, life is more enjoyable and meaningful when your focus is on the present.
Love, Light & Blessings till next time,
Your Mindset Transformation Virtuosa